FP7-SEC-2010-1 (SEC 2010.3.1-1: European wide integrated border control system - phase II)
PERSEUS is an FP7 demonstration project supported by the FP7 Security Research theme under DG-Enterprise. Its purpose is to build and demonstrate an EU maritime surveillance system integrating existing national and communitarian installations and enhancing them with innovative technologies. By means of two large scale demonstrations PERSEUS will prove its feasibility and will set the standards and grounds for the future development of EU maritime surveillance systems.
PERSEUS is therefore a key project in delivering comprehensive maritime surveillance from coastal regions to high seas through a collaboration across Member States.
PERSEUS includes two major demonstration phases, in 2013 with Portugal, Spain, France and Italy and in 2014 with Greece. PERSEUS aims to contribute to the EUROSUR roadmap, at feasibility, standards, best practices and regulation levels.
The new maritime surveillance system is expected to increase the effectiveness of the current systems by creating a common maritime information sharing environment for the benefit of the network including National Coordination Centres, Frontex and the European Maritime Safety Agency (EMSA). The project also envisages collaboration with non European countries and international agencies such as NATO or the International Maritime Organisation (IMO), among others.
This system-of-systems will use all the information provided by the European and national agencies. The data will be integrated and processed for better quality, thus obtaining filtered, reliable and more useful information. In particular, PERSEUS is meant to support the implementation of EUROSUR.
The total PERSEUS budget yields 42,699,621.13 €.
Project period: 01/01/2011 - 31/12/2014, duration 4 years.
PERSEUS is going to organise live exercises across two campaigns as follows:
- The first campaign will take place in 2013 within the Western Mediterranean Basin from the Atlantic approach to Italy and North Western Africa.
- The second campaign is scheduled for 2014 and will be conducted in the area of the Aegean Sea and Samos Island channel, potentially including an extension up to the Black Sea.
PERSEUS involves 29 partners from 12 countries - namely Spain, France, Italy, Portugal and Greece that all have borders on the southern seas of Europe, supported by Finland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and The Netherlands.
These 29 partners provide PERSEUS with a highly complementary set of profiles, ranging from technology providers to service providers and supporting legal and training activities.
The Halpin Centre, Maritime Safety and Security, at NMCI takes part in the following WPs providing training support in the project (training and legal and procurement):
- WP27: All activities related to the creation of scenarios, simulations, or work conducted with any simulator.
- WP32: All activities relating to System of Systems (SOS) tasks.
- WP33: All activities relating to integration and verification (SOS) tasks.
- WP41: All activities relating to administration (timesheets), project management tasks, research tasks, traveling to conferences and attend project meetings.