Centre Manager, Maritime Mechatronics Principle Investigator
Email; email@example.com Phone; +353 (0)21 4335723
Cormac is the founding Manager of the HALPIN Centre. He began his career in the merchant navy and while still at sea became very involved in maritime IT and radio communications related work. After coming ashore, he set up and ran a maritime transport and logistics research and innovation company (an early spin out from the Cork Regional Technical College that later became the Cork Institute of Technology) before spending four years in computer science research focussed on machine learning in Science Foundation Ireland's first major centre, the Cork Constraint Computation Centre at University College Cork (now the Insight Centre). Before joining NMCI to set up HALPIN in 2012, he spent seven years with Transas, a maritime navigation systems multinational where he specialised in Vessel Traffic Services (VTS) and coastal monitoring and surveillance systems. In this period he worked extensively around the World including spending a year in China supporting the company's operations there. In addition to his centre management role, Cormac also heads up HALPIN's Maritime Mechatronics team. Cormac is a member of the NMCI College Senior Executive Team, of the CIT Research Ethics Committee and the CIT School of Graduate Studies Steering Committee. Cormac is one of the team who represent Ireland on the Waterborne Technology Platform↗ and the Alliance for Logistics Innovation through Collaboration in Europe - ALICE, the Technology Platform for Logistics↗.
Publications & Research Outputs
- The Final SYNCHRO-NET Vision. SYNCHRO-NET project deliverable D1.3, May 2017. Request access.
- A review of the physiological andpsychological health and wellbeing of naval service personnel and the modalities used for monitoring. Sargent, C., Gebruers, C., O'Mahony, J. Military Medical Research, 2017 4:1. Download.
- The development and optimisation of a quantitative physical fitness scoring system for use amongst Naval Service personnel. Sargent, C., Lacey, Sean., Gebruers, Cormac., O'Mahony, J., International Maritime Health, 2016; 67, 3: 1-8. Download
- The SYNCHRO-NET Vision. SYNCHRO-NET project deliverable D1.5, May 2016. Request access.
- Safey Assessment of O&M Access with regard to Human Resources. LEANWIND project (internal) deliverable, December 2015. Request access.
- Machine Learning for Portfolio Selection using Structure at the Instance Level?. Short paper for the Constraint Programming Conference 2003 held in Cork (CP2003). 2003
- Making Choices using Structure at the Instance Level within a Case Based Reasoning Framework. Constraint Programming, Artificial Intelligence & Operations Research Conference, 2004 (CPAIOR04). Nice, France.