Research at HALPIN
Overview & Context
HALPIN is the research & innovation pillar of the National Maritime College of Ireland↗ - NMCI. NMCI is a constituent college of the Cork Institute of Technology↗ - CIT and a partnership with the Irish Naval Service↗ - INS. Through this partnerhsip, HALPIN is the maritime research and innovation centre for CIT and HALPIN undertakes research and innovation activities on behalf of the INS.
HALPIN's two thematic areas of Maritime Mechatronics and Maritime Operations are aligned with a number of CIT, Irish State and European policies, strategies and focus areas. Maritime research and innovation activity is often "cross-cutting" and this is apparent by the number of policies, srategies and focus areas that are relevant to HALPIN's two thematic areas and demonstrated by the diverse research & innovation funding sources that underpin HALPIN's activities. HALPIN's focus areas are aligned with:
- CIT's Maritime, Energy and Sustainable Environment Thematic Research Area. Work in HALPIN's thematic areas also addresses aspects of the Information and Communications Technology, Exercise and Health, Entrepreneurship, Competitiveness and Innovation and Education and Learning Thematic Research Areas.
- The Irish Government's White paper on Defence↗, specifically sections 4.9 - Engagement with Irish Enterprise and Research Institutions in support of Defence Forces Capabilities, 4.9.1 - Innovation as a Force Multiplier and 4.9.2 - Irish Maritime and Energy Resource Cluster (IMERC).
- The EU Maritime Security Strategy and EUMSS Action Plan↗, specifically strand 5; Maritime Security Research and Innovation, Education and Training.
- Ireland's National Marine Research Strategy↗ (under review during 2017)
- European Commission policies that relate to, or impact maritime matters including (but not limited to) Maritime Affairs and Fisheries↗ incorporating Blue Growth↗, Transport↗, Borders and Security↗, Energy↗, Environment↗ and Education & Training↗.
- The Irish Government's Research Priority Areas↗ specifically A - Future Networks & Communications, B - Data Analytics, Management, Security & Privacy, Digital Platforms, Content & Applications, D - Connected Health and Independent Living, J - Marine Renewable Energy, K - Smart Grids & Smart Cities and N - Innovation in Servcies and Business Processes.